A Showcase of the Self

My everyday life. In my own words.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Random thoughts...

Semester break just ended and I miss it already. Sigh.

The hols were pretty good. Didn't do any of the things I planned to do (go camping, visit Sydney, finish off a series of anime, get a part-time job, sleep in late...) but it was still wonderful. Spent time getting to know some people from church, played poker, watched movies, cooked, cleaned, shopped, hung out...you know, the usual.

Class on Tuesday was pretty interesting. It was nice being the one in 'the know', instead of the this-is-my-first-sem-and-I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing-here student. For those who I have yet to inform, I'll be going on a course-required trip to Fiji in August. Funnily, I feel a little anxious bout the trip. Weird huh? Most would jump at the chance to take such a trip (a holiday cum learning experience paid for by my parents!) and yet, here I am feeling all worried at the thought of having to travel semi-solo (1 week with coursemates and the other alone). Maybe it's because I've never done anything like this before. Staying at a backpackers' lodge, finding my own transportation, travelling from island to island....alone!?!?! Also, when all's said and done, this trip is assessed ie. I have to be on proper professional behaviour at all times! I have to ask the right questions, do the right kind of research, give valuable input and suggestions to government officials, mind you and among all the 'buat pandai angmoh' students, I have to 'buat even more pandai'! Furthermore, when the trip ends (I'll be off on the 21st of August and back on the 4th of September), I'll be required to submit a 2000 word review of the trip (12th Sept), sit for a 2 hour paper on the subject (12th Sept) and complete a 5500 word research essay (17th Sept). And what about my other subject? I am so dead.

Now that I've got those negative thoughts off my chest, let me just say that I can't wait to head off to Fiji! Woo hoo! The academic trip basically starts on the 24th of August and ends on the 30th of August. That means, I have 7 blissful days on a vacation island in the middle of cold winter here in Melbourne, all to myself (and the occupants & visitors of the island that is!). How great is that?

Besides my trip to Fiji, I've also been looking for a part-time job. I have too much time on my hands! Well, not exactly. If I were to be a model student and follow the unit guide and spend 5 hours of preparation a day for each subject, I would have virtually no time to live, let alone look for a job. I'm not exactly going all out in this search, but rather it's a 'come what may' attitude. I'll just answer a few ads here and there and see what happens. I'll be fine either way.

Er...yeah....that's it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wandernut said...

FIJI???!!!

SO JEAROUSSSHHHH!!!!

4:16 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiji? Wow!!! sounds kinda syok! must watch whatever rugby match that is live then since they are real good in that. hehe

cc

8:08 AM GMT+10  
Blogger ... said...

WN: Haha! Yeah, best excuse to travel for free...ever!

CC: Rugby? Er...if you say so...:)

1:35 PM GMT+10  
Blogger Unknown said...

ME JEAROUSHHH TOO!!!!

remember my birthday is on August 23rd, which means you can always get me a belated birthday present from FIJI.

Thank you! AHhahaha..

Cher

4:46 PM GMT+10  
Blogger ... said...

Cher: Ish...tak malu! Since you've publicly asked for a present, I can't deny you one, can I? :P Will a keychain do? Student-la! Studenttttt...no $$$

12:15 AM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom and Kor Kor thinks that that is a wonderful idea. Time to get some relaxation as well as some work experience...

KK:I'm very proud of you rin rin!!
M:It's a shame that I won't be able to go with you.

P.S- Some gifts for KK and M would be nice.

1:52 AM GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home